August 2, 2010

Shreddy Thread...I'm jusy saying.

I'm working on the Tea Cup Block (for the Challenge/Contest) and was hoping
to use metallic threads in the embellishment.

So far, that ain't happening...
#1. Threading the needle... nearly impossible.  How many times will I attempt it before giving up?  

And #2.  Metallic thread shreds/splinters while I'm sewing the stitches......grrrrrrr!





It seems to want to do it's own thing.
(I don't know what that is.)










Maybe... I should "spill" it over the surface and sew over it; such as a Noriko Endo Confetti quilt.  That won't work, I lack her talent.





Help!







Help and Suggestions have arrived. Thank You so much!

1. Don't try to sew small stitches.
2. Choose a 12" length instead of 18" to sew with.
3. Kreinik brand was suggested to me.
4.  Try using this thread for couching. 

5. April 12th, 2011: The Quilt Show blog post includes Bob Purcell's tips for using metallic threads.  (Bob is co-owner of Superior Threads and teaches at School of Threadology).



Have a look at Sharon b's work with metallic threads (just beautiful): http://www.pintangle.com/journal/2012/2/29/work-in-progress-wednesdaycq-journal-block-2.html




1 comment:

  1. I agree, metallic thread is very challenging. I'm working on a sampler that has gold stitching around each part and have to force myself to do that part. Any suggestions you receive will be of great interest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I enjoy your comments and have made it possible for you to post even though you might not be a blogger. In order to keep 'spam' down, I will preview all comments and publish them as quickly as possible.