April 23, 2010

Earth Day was spent Doodling

I've been a fan of Jude Hill's blog,  Spirit Cloth  from the moment I discovered it.  I love the artistic expression/dialogue between her and the cloth!  I'm always looking forward to her next post!
It was there on her blog, that I noticed some mention of Slow Cloth , that led me to the person who created the concept, Elaine Lipson/Red Thread Studio. I have found myself revisiting Elaine's posts on the subject, and as I do, the message becomes more clear!  I encourage you all to read the 10 Qualities of Slow Cloth, it is beautifully written ,and to me at least, is an invitation to learn. 

~ I was taught by the women in my family to sew, knit and crochet.  Quilting came later, mostly influenced by the Simply Quilts show.  It was there that my eyes were opened to the many quilting techniques and started buying quilting books to further myself. ~

The discussions on the Slow Cloth Facebook group have been educational and inspiring.   Such a rich community of textile artists!  So many topics there, but I'm going to explore hand-woven cloth and fabric hand-dye (looking forward to Jenny Dean's book,Wild Color, being available once again, this Fall.


Today, I doodled...


















I like the idea of mixing fabric scraps and yarns.  Just another idea that came in the middle of the night.  Not sure yet what to call it.


Last year I met the Spinners in the Park, they were making their yarns, that was a good opportunity to purchase some beautiful yarns, perfect for this kind of project.   I'll have to keep my eye open for another chance to buy directly...

I'm  now considering getting a weaving loom. I found a lap-size one on a website that I like...


















At the end of the day, I decided the term I was looking for was...
Earthy-Embroidered Rag Weave.


5 comments:

  1. Jes,
    Well done for Earth Day. I wanted a closer look so I held the CTRL button and rolled the mouse wheel. Nice earthy colors and your stitching really tops it off. Thanks for bringing my attention to Slow Cloth. Good luck finding the loom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy!
    I had a hard time taking a picture of this, to get any closer, made it a big blur. This latest picture is the best I could do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smithsonian Education is a great link to see some weaving traditions of the American Indian.

    Textiles of the Southwest:
    http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/educators/lesson_plans/idealabs/textiles_of_southwest.html

    I'm presently going through the Glossary! Braiding, Ikat a hand-dyeing process, Twill technique...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another textile link is-
    Textile Museum - Common Threads

    http://www.textilemuseum.org/commonthreads/

    ReplyDelete
  5. An overview of Japanese Woven and
    Dyed Textiles-
    http://web-japan.org/museum/textile/about_te.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I enjoy your comments and have made it possible for you to post even though you might not be a blogger. In order to keep 'spam' down, I will preview all comments and publish them as quickly as possible.